- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lamb shanks
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely diced
- 1 large zucchini diced
- 1 bunch broccolini chopped
- 1 large red capsicum deseeded and diced
- 1 litre beef stock
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup pearl barley
- salt and cracked pepper
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Add lamb and cook for 4-5 minutes or until brown. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, reduce heat to medium. Add remaining oil and sauté onion, garlic and celery for 3 minutes or until golden.
- Mix in stock, water and barley. Return lamb to pan, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until lamb is tender.
- Remove shanks from pan and shred meat from bones.
- Return meat to pan. Add carrots, zucchini, capsicum and broccolini. Simmer, covered, for a further 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with multigrain bread roll.